Monday, November 26, 2007

Tender Potato Bread


So, what have I been going on about all month???

Well, at the beginning of the month, I received my first challenge as a Daring Baker. I'm a geek, I know. But it was SO much fun. The premise is, each month the group is given a recipe and we all have to complete the recipe before the deadline and post about our experiences. It's a bit of a social experiment. Take bakers of varying prowess, give them the same recipe...allow only minor and very specific recipe modification and see what happens!

So, November is my first month as a Daring Baker. And to be honest, when I saw what the challenge was, I just about died. Tanna, of My Kitchen in Half Cups, our hostess for this round had selected...Bread. (You can find the recipe on her blog)

I've always considered bread one of those magical foods. I know people make it at home, but I just always thought of it as something I would never learn. Bread scares me. No, no! Not THAT kind of scared! I'm the bread queen, I love to EAT bread...I was just afraid of making it.

Well, I certainly wasn't going to pass this up. This whole thing is about learning right?

So, I dove in head first. Then this emerged from my bowl:



Seriously - what is that? It was sticky. No, it was different from sticky...it was...alive. I swear. It clung to EVERYTHING. Now, we WERE warned that this was sticky dough...but apparently, my "vision" of sticky dough was off. LMAO. It was, however, very fun to play with. But then again, I've always been a "get my hands dirty" kind of girl. So, 4 cups of flour later, it was slightly more reasonable. LMAO



After the first rise, I got to form the bread. This is where we were given the most creative freedom, forming the loaf any way we wanted. Well, I have a think about bread braids. I wanted a braid. I took half my dough and made a braid. Heh. Guess what? Too big for the baking sheet....WHOOPS!



So, I opted for a smaller one:

Prebake:


Done!


I also made a loaf and another braid this time around:


Can I tell you how proud of myself I was. Seriously, it was tasty! I actually made bread!

Now, being me, you know I couldn't leave well enough alone. I decided I needed to make more bread, this time, more...adventurous bread. O.M.G. I thought the first batch was good, well, let me tell you, bread is better with CHEESE. Indeed.

Cheesy rolled loaf:


Cheesy Braid (Cheese on top and kneaded into the dough):


And, what Logan said was the best of them all, cheesy ham rolls:


So, another firm, GO ME! I conquered my fear of bread! So much so that I think my next adventure in bread will be honey whole wheat. YUM! But, that will probably wait until after the holidays! And, I've finally earned my logo - YAY!!!!

23 comments:

Julius said...

Congrats on becoming a DBer!

I love your bread in all its different forms. You're totally right about how this *sticky* dough has a life of its own.

Please feel free to see my tender potato bread here.

Julius from Occasional Baker

Esther said...

congratulations on your first challenge looks like you did very well.
Esther (http://lilackitchen.blogspot.com/)

Judy said...

Welcome to the world of bread. Keep trying new and different recipes so you can get a 'feel' for the various kinds of dough. You'll be addicted!

T’s Treats said...

OMG!! Those look sooo yummy. I never thought of ham to go with my cheese haha next time I will definately have to remember that. Great job =)

breadchick said...

Yea for you and conquering your yeast fears. Welcome to the Bread Head club and if you want any recipes, drop me a line. I always love to share! Great job on your first challenge!!

Anonymous said...

the braids look great! That could not have been easy with that dough!

Lisa said...

They look so tasty. Actually, your photo of the cheese swirl bread was what inspired me to make a cheese swirled loaf too.

Who can resist stealing an idea that looks so good?

Carla said...

That cheesy braided potato bread looks so good. Great job on completing your first DB challenge!

Dolores said...

See... you stuck with it... and look at what majesty emerged from your oven! I'm proud of you... and anxious to see how you approach future challenges. Welcome!

Bex said...

mmmm, that bread was so good! All of it! I can't wait for your next challenge, hehehe. luvers you.

Cherry said...

I love that huge swirly in your cheesy loaf =D

Peabody said...

Look at all that cheesy goodness! Yum. Great looking bread.

Deborah said...

Great job on your first challenge. That cheesy bread looks great!!

Gretchen Noelle said...

Congrats on your first DB challenge! I really love the look of the cheesy braid. That looks like comfort in a loaf! Great job!

Anonymous said...

I love your baking attitude! Your braid is gorgeous - congratulations on your first DB challenge!

Miss Ifi said...

oh dear... cheesy ham rolls??!! may I be invited to eat some of those? and your braid is also beautiful!!
Congratulations on your challenge and again.. may I be invited to eat some cheesy ham rolls?

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Your loaves all look wonderful! Great job!

Cheers,

Rosa

April said...

Congrats on completing your first challenge!! Your bread looks amazing!

Helene said...

You did a fantastic job on the challenge! "Go you bread Queen"!! I love the braid and the rolls ad the loaf...I can smell them from here all over again! Welcome to the Daring Bakers!

Christine said...

Go you! Brilliant job and I'm glad you persevered with the dough, despite it's lively stickiness!

Christina ~ She Runs, She Eats

Jen Yu said...

Oooh, fabulous job on the breads! They look awesome. Wow - very very nice :)

-jen at use real butter

Julie said...

What a cheesy post! And I mean it in the best way--cheese loaves rock! You should be proud of yourself--you conquered your bread fear and made beautiful, delicious bread!

Also, the post about your son wanting to lay his head in your lap while you knitted was darling! I wish I got that Zen clicking when I crocheted!

Dame Wendy said...

This sounds like such fun!! Those pictures make my tummy growl every time I pop over to your blog.